Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bajan Girl meets Stereotyping

STEREOTYPE - a standardized mental picture that is held in common by members of a group and that represents an oversimplified opinion, prejudiced attitude, or uncritical judgment


"What have you done with your hair?"
"It's Sisterlocked" said I with a smile
"Can you open it?' with a curious glance
"No this is it." still smiling was I
"Can you comb it? I must comb MY hair everyday"
Silence with a thoughtful look on my face
"So are a RASTA NOW???"
"I was shocked, taken aback and retorted, CERTAINLY NOT!!!"

How could this be ............... especially when the person knows that I am a born again, water baptized Christian.:)

Does the sight of locks, put some persons in such a state of discomfort that the only way to interpret this natural hair style is to link it to a rastfarianism??

Thankfully those comments are few and far between........ but it means that we as a race just need to become comfortable with the options available to us and love each other unconditionally.

2 comments:

  1. The word rasta isn't an insult. Yes, their locks are called dreadlocks and rightfully look dreadful, yet they have a deep philosophy of life and a very rich insight in human behaviour. They understand things at a level you can't possibly imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment.
    I didn't mean to infer insult. Though I don't agree with some of their philosophy. However we can agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete